Sunday, April 01, 2007

glastonbury tickets and exploding the myth of radio 1

Wow, that was a crazy few hours this morning guys.

So yeah, we got Glastonbury tickets. Months of planning, pondering and all-round nervousness paid off.

It's all the more a happy occasion when you consider the list of acts confirmed so far, which contains a strong majority of my current favourites: Arcade Fire, Bloc Party, Kaiser Chiefs, Joanna Newsom, The Killers, Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys, Hot Chip and Editors.

Anyway, so I woke up at 8:30 this morning for the task, and for the first hour it seemed nobody in the world was succeeding. Then the odd report started to trickle through on message boards of people managing to get tickets. About 15 minutes later, my flatmate runs in, says he's got tickets on his rock steady super-fast net connection. Lucky bugger.

What followed was 10 minutes of buying tickets. First for me and my crew, then ringing round our friends to ask if they'd got there's, and them giving us their card details so we could book for them if they hadn't (don't try this at home kids, we're professional trustworthy ticket buyer type people)

Then it was like Welcome to Celebrationsville, population: us. We had booked tickets for 11 people in total. Brilliant times.

As generally happy with the whole event as I was, I decided I'd put a call in to Vernon Kay on Radio 1, who had been talking Glastonbury tickets all morning. Maybe I'd be able to get on the Sunday Shuffle and pick an excellent celebratory tune to top the morning off nicely.

I got through to talk to the very friendly Producer Neil, who asked me a couple of questions about Glastonbury, and weirdly, if I'd ever been on Radio 1 before. He took my number, and that was that.

20 minutes later, I get a call. It's Neil, and they are looking for somebody to have a chat on air, and request Beach Boys - Good Vibrations. The cheek!

So there you have it, Radio 1 ask you to request specific songs. It's not exactly in the same league as the Richard & Judy phone scandal, but thought you'd like to know anyway.

If you just want to hear me sounding over excited on national radio, right click and 'save target as' this:

http://www.onlinestorage.biz/users/Members/muldoony/Muldooon_Vernon.mp3


Top morning anyway. Role on summer, that's what I say.

No comments: