Thursday, January 18, 2007

wind and big brother

So wind, eh? 20 minutes into a two hour lecture, and we hear that the building is being evacuated because it is unsafe to be in during such strong weather. Which may or may not have something to do with the building site and big tall cranes just across the road. Walking home then, it's half three in the afternoon, and every road is gridlocked. Utterly bizarre.

The best thing though was the walk home where I occasionally wasn't having to put in any effort into walking whatsoever, the wind just carrying me along instead. Wish my daily commute was like that every day.

It's weird how a city so used to wind and rain has been brought to it's knees because of the stuff.

so big brother then

I've resisted the urge to post a big long blog about whats going on in that house, but I will say this: I like it. The thing I like about big brother is that it will sometimes be about big issues, instead of the light fluffy approach every other such program follows. Ideally Big Brother should be about holding a mirror up to society's face, and showing how it currently is.

So it was nice, if obviously unsurprising, to read this comment from Channel 4 CEO Andy Duncan today:

"The debate has been heated, the viewing has at times been uncomfortable but, in my view, it is unquestionably a good thing that the programme has raised these issues and provoked such a debate. These attitudes, however distasteful, do persist – we need to confront that truth.

In the last 25 years Channel 4 has undoubtedly played a major role as a broadcaster to inform and educate viewers about issues of race. This is a role that I intend Channel 4 to continue playing."

Which I agree with.

Stay inside everybody x

No comments: